Cannoli Cupcakes

After making cannoli last week, there was no way I could just leave it at that; they were too good. Plus, I had a bunch of filling left over that I didn’t want to go to waste. The first idea I had was to use it in cupcakes, and let me tell you, it was the right thing to do. I made a very simple vanilla bean frosting to top them off, and people raved about them and the frosting in particular. They were definitely a big hit! Here’s what you’ll need:

Dry ingredients:

Wet ingredients:

For the frosting:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line two muffin pans with cupcake wrappers. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.

In a different, larger bowl, mix together the butter, eggs, vanilla, Marsala wine, and milk. Also note that I need new mixing bowls, as evidenced by the huge chip in the side (I have no idea how that happened!).

Add in the ricotta cheese, orange zest, and powdered sugar. Mix in the dry ingredients, and then stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into cupcake liners, 24 in total. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin pans to a cooling rack.

While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Cream the butter and shortening together, and then add in the vanilla extract. Gradually add in the powdered sugar. Mix in the milk, and then mix in the vanilla from the vanilla bean.

Frost the cupcakes once they have cooled completely, and top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Look at those lovely flecks of vanilla!

Posted by on September 8, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

1. this is what I am talking about! pastry shells no beuno for me…cupcakes…yes ma’am! love it!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm

2. YUM! Maybe you’ll need to make Cannoli Cookies next?

by Katie @ goodLife {eats} on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:04 pm

3. Holy Cannoli! Are they filled with anything? These look to die for….just unsure if the will get the “cannoli” feel without that pastry shell! I will have to try to make them in order to find out!! 😀

by Katie on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm

4. You are so smart! 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:37 pm

5. Wow – looks amazing. I love the flecks of vanilla bean in the frosting. Beautiful!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:03 pm

6. These are amazing!!! Everything looks so perfect! Wonderful creation.

by Jen @ MaplenCornbread on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:26 pm

7. Oh yummy! These are perfect 🙂

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:28 pm

8. Love the idea! No wonder they were a big hit!

by Gala on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:01 am

9. Love your cupcakes. Actually love everything I looked at! 🙂 I am an upstate NY girl transplanted to VA. Nice to “run” into another NY girl.

by Susan on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:58 am

10. Omigosh. I love cannoli! I may just have to try these!

by G. on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

11. oh my goodness! that looks amazing! (drool drips from corner of mouth) i’m in heaven! delicous!

by katie v. on Nov 6, 2009 at 7:02 pm

12. wow I love cannoli. Thanks for the recipe. 🙂

by Scorpio Woman on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:47 pm

13. I cannot wait to try this recipe, can I get the wine in any Liquor store?

by Sandra on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:00 pm

14. Sandra – you can actually get Marsala wine at the grocery store – it’ll be next to the cooking wines.

Enjoy! 🙂

by Tracy on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

15. Made these today…delish! Thanks for the recipe!

by Kim on Jan 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm

16. Does excluding the wine effect the flavor of the cupcake too much?

by Kristie Dang on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:37 pm

17. Kristie – It’s just a hint of Marsala flavor, so you could certainly leave it out if you don’t like it. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

18. We’ve been obsessed with cannoli-flavored anything these days! It started with a cannoli-flavored cheesecake in Fine Cooking last month. These are next on my list! 🙂

by DessertForTwo on May 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

19. I made these earlier this week for a group of people and they loved them! They were a huge hit, so thanks for making me look good 🙂 By the way, you can see how they turned out here: http://novicedomesticity.blogspot.com/2010/06/cannoli-cupcakes.html

by Jennifer on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

20. Just made these, and they were a big hit! We had to sub some high quality orange extract for the fresh zest, and I wouldn’t repeat that sub (maybe a drop of orange oil in a pinch instead), but otherwise they were awesome.

by Tarc on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm

21. I am going to make these today! Was thinking of making a chocolate ganache instead of frosting any thoughts?

by Charley Bair on Aug 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm

22. Charley – Sounds good; let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Aug 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

23. I made this recipe today but it did not work. All the chocolate chips sank to the bottom. 🙁

by Lauren @ Delicateflavors on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm

24. Lauren, I’m so sorry to hear that! Shoot me an e-mail and maybe I can help troubleshoot what went wrong!

by Tracy on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

25. try mini chips, lauren!
    btw, does leaving out the orange zest, make a huge difference?

by kat on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

26. Kat – You can leave out the orange zest if you want; it won’t affect the texture of the cupcakes. Good luck!

by Tracy on Nov 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

27. I am a girl from upstate New York where Italian pastries are true Italian pastries.. However, I’ve since moved to the south, and the pastries around here aren’t so great.
    This sounds fabulous!
    I just told my boyfriend that I was craving a cannoli and he laughed. So joking I searched for recipes of cannoli cupcakes and BAM! here you are!
    I will definitely be trying this very soon!!
    Thank you so much for this!!

by Ashley on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm

28. If you have an ice cream maker, you should try cannoli ice cream. Delish!

by Sarah on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

29. I also tried the cupcakes this weekend, chocolate chips all sank to the bottom and cupcake wrappers were hard to come off. A lot of paper stuck to the cupcake. Help!!!

by Kim on May 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

30. Kim – I’m sorry to hear that! One of the commenters above suggested using mini chocolate chips to solve their sinking problem, so I would give that a shot. Also, try spraying your cupcake liners with cooking spray before filling them; that should help the cupcake batter to not stick to the wrappers. Hope that helps and good luck!

by Tracy on May 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm

31. Last year at our wedding, one of the layers was cannoli filled. Tomorrow is our 1st anniversary party and I am recreating ideas from the wedding into cupcakes. I just finished this making your cupcakes and they look great. I cannot wait to try them once they cool off.

Do they need to kept in the fridge?

Thanks for sharing!

by Leslie Paul-osterbur on May 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

32. Leslie – Sounds like fun, I hope you enjoy them! And no, I did not keep mine in the refrigerator. Enjoy! 🙂

by Tracy on May 31, 2012 at 12:09 pm

33. These cannoli cupcakes look absolutely gorgeous!
    I cannot wait to try them.

Question: If i’m making them in the mini cupcake pan, what would the temperature be and how long do i bake them for?

by Marina on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

34. I just made these and they are delicious! I also encountered the same problem with the batter sticking to the wrappers. Next time I will spray with the non-stick stuff. Not as nice looking this time around but still delicious. Also I suggest using only a half cup of the miny chips!

by Ashley on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

35. I am making these cupcakes for my sister-in-laws 50th birthday party, what kind of shortening do I need to use.

by Marie on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:58 am

36. I made these but I also filled them with chocolate chip cannoli filling in the the center.

by Stefanie Buchaniec on May 8, 2013 at 11:59 am

37. To keep choc chips from sinking use mini chips and coat them w flour!

by michelle on Feb 27, 2015 at 2:16 pm