Cannoli

Last Friday, my adventurous friend Becky and I got together to try cooking something new. This time we decided on cannoli, adapted from this recipe. Or is it cannolis? I’m not actually sure what the correct plural of the word is, but I’ll go with cannoli for the sake of consistency. Anyway, we did the cooking at her place, and not only was it lots of fun, but the cannoli were easier to make than I thought they would be. The shells turned out more chewy than crunchy, but they were delicious nonetheless…and her whole house smelled like a pastry shop by the time we were done frying all the shells. Someone needs to make that smell into a scented candle! Give these a try over the holiday weekend – you won’t be disappointed!

For the shells:

For the filling:

Mix the flour, shortening, cinnamon, sugar, and salt together.

Gradually add the Marsala wine. Knead the dough until it is hard, and then form it into a ball. Cover it with a clean towel and let it sit for about an hour.

Cut the dough in half, then roll out each half to about 1/4″ thickness. Use the bottom of a glass to cut out small ovals 3-4″ in diameter. Heat the oil in a sauce pan to about 400 degrees. We heated ours to only 350 degrees, which is why I think our shells ended up being chewier as I mentioned earlier.

Wrap each oval of dough around the cannoli form, sealing the overlapping sides with a little egg white wash.

Drop a few shells at a time into the hot oil, and fry only a few minutes until golden brown. Remove them to a paper towel to drain, and when cool enough, remove the shells from the cannoli forms.

To make the filling, mix the powdered sugar with the ricotta cheese. Add the vanilla and orange zest and mix until well-blended.

Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the mixture before filling the shells.

Move the shells to the refrigerator to chill. When they have cooled, use a piping bag to fill the shells with the ricotta filling.

Each of us ended up with somewhere between 45-55 cannoli. Perfect for bringing to a party!

Posted by on September 5, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

1. Perfect bite sized desserts!! They look so good! And easy! I’m going to make my dad cut me some wooden pieces I can use instead of the tubes, since they arent available here!! And then I can make these 🙂

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Sep 6, 2009 at 4:32 am

2. these look awesome! If I made these my husband would eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner until were gone! That filling looks yummmmmm !

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 6, 2009 at 7:50 am

3. I love cannoli… I have been meaning to make some for quite a while. Where did you get your cannoli forms?

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 6, 2009 at 3:21 pm

4. Jen – my mother-in-law generously gave me all of hers. I’m not sure where she got them, but I’m guessing they came from her mom. 🙂 I’ll have to find out!

by Tracy on Sep 6, 2009 at 3:36 pm

5. Oh these look so delicious! I have never had homemade cannoli.

by jillian on Sep 6, 2009 at 5:44 pm

6. Forget the candle…I’d like to dab a little of that behind my ears! 🙂

You are so great at trying adventurous things in the kitchen! I bet they were delicious!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm

7. Yum! They look yummy! Oh, and one is cannolo and the plural is actually cannoli! 🙂

by Maryellen on Sep 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm

8. GREAT job to both of you! These are perfect! yum!

by Jen @ MaplenCornbread on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm

9. Love the step by step pictures!

by Gala on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:32 am

10. Oh gosh…. I LOVE these.. no, I mean.. I LOOOOOOVE these! Cannoli are always the highlight of our vacations to italy.. whenever we step into the local bakery in the village where my grandma lives, the shopkeeper will immediately start looking for the cannoli.. *lol*

Greetings from the netherlands!

by Linda on Sep 7, 2009 at 7:21 am

11. Maryellen, thanks for letting me know!!

by Tracy on Sep 7, 2009 at 10:15 am

12. These cannoli look so cute and yummy! Thanks for the step-by-step photos.

by Memoria on Sep 7, 2009 at 12:24 pm

13. Oh, I’m glad I came upon your blog today… I looooove cannoli! I did a long post a few months ago on how to make homemade cannoli. Love the stuff. Yours look fabulous!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:26 pm

14. wow. very ambitious of you to make cannoli. They look delicious. There is a pastry shop here in the North End of Boston that makes the best cannoli I have ever had in my life…seriously. I’ve never attempted to make them but, being Italian, maybe I should. You’ve inspired me. 🙂

by G. on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

15. I could eat the whole pan of cannolis. However, my thighs would hate me.

by Alysia on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm

16. Your cannoli look great! And cannoli cupcakes? What a good idea! YUM!

by Sue on Nov 28, 2009 at 6:05 pm

17. those look awesome! i have to try them. but I read in the comments that someone was going to use wooden cores…does anyone know if it worked?

by Jan on May 5, 2010 at 9:14 am