Pumpkin Bisque

I know, it’s more apple season than pumpkin season right now (although the apple recipes are coming soon, don’t worry), but the other day I was craving pumpkin bisque. The temperature had taken its first dip into fall, and it was also a drizzly kind of day, so a hot steaming bowl of this was all I could think about. Fortunately, I had a can of pumpkin in my pantry, so I whipped up this very basic bisque in no time at all. Here’s what you’ll need:

First, grab that can of pumpkin. I like to use Libby’s, but you can use any brand you like.

Purée the pumpkin in your food processor, just to make sure that you take care of any big lumps. We want the bisque to be nice and smooth.

Mix all the ingredients together in a sauce pan except for the evaporated milk.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for 6-7 minutes. Then, reduce the heat again to low, and add in the evaporated milk. Heat the bisque on medium heat, stirring constantly, until it gets hot. Serve immediately.

Posted by on September 3, 2009.

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. I guess it is time to get out the fall flavors. This looks amazing!

by Maria on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:26 am

2. I bought a can of pumpkin today because I just couldn’t wait any longer! This sounds like a wonderful way to use it!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 3, 2009 at 8:19 pm

3. I don’t think pumpkin has a season — Libby’s makes it all year ’round, right — and I crave pumpkin soup or pumpkin muffins right through spring and summer. But you’re right: something about the back to school, crisp air coming, turn to September puts me even more in the pumpkin mood.

by Cucinista on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:08 am

4. I have never heard of pumpkin bisque, but I think I need to try this!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:31 pm

5. Great recipe!! I just discovered your blog and I love it!!! Tried making this bisque tonight and it turned out wonderfully – thanks for the recipe! 🙂

by Pam on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:21 pm

6. I made this the other day and it didn’t taste quite right. I accidentally used a can of vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in the soup. Do you think theresults would be better if I made it again with chicken broth? Thanks!

by Lauren on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm

7. Lauren – I think the broth could indeed change the flavor, since it’s one of the main ingredients for this dish. If you do try it again, let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

8. Just made this and it is delicious! Like pumpkin pie in a bowl. I used veggie broth, since that’s all I had on hand, and it worked great.

by Debbie on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm

9. How many servings does this make?

by Amanda on Nov 20, 2012 at 9:26 pm

10. Amanda – This recipe makes 2-3 servings.

by Tracy on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:21 am