Espresso Ice Cream

Sorry about the lack of baking posts lately, but it finally turned summer in New York so I’ve been reluctant to turn on the oven if I don’t absolutely have to. On top of that, our air conditioning is broken. It turns on and off as it pleases, leaving us at its mercy the ONE week all summer we actually needed it. So what to do to beat the sweltering heat?ย Why, make ice cream, of course!

You’ll need:

In a medium saucepan, mix the half and half, cream, sugar, and espresso beans over medium-high heat. Once the mixture starts to bubble, remove it from the heat and let it steep for about 45 minutes.

Next, return the espresso mixture to the burner, again over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they are smooth.

Let the eggs sit out just while the espresso mixture is warming up, so that it’s easier to temper the eggs. When the espresso mixture becomes warm again, slowly pour it into the bowl with the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Once the egg mixture has been incorporated into the espresso mixture, return it to the burner.

Cook the mixture until it thickens, and then pour it through a strainer toย discard the beans.

Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, and ground espresso.

Chill the mixture for a bit, and then pour it into your ice cream maker and let it run for 35-40 minutes. Transfer the soft serve ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for several hours.

Once it has frozen completely, the ice cream is ready to be served.

Posted by on August 14, 2009.

1. THIS. IS. AMAZING. I almost licked my screen all those images look so delicious!!! Wish I had some of this right now!

by Gaby on Aug 14, 2009 at 10:56 am

2. Oh, YUM!!! This might almost make summer pleasant! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Once again…you pictures are always gorgeous!

by Bridget {Bake at 350} on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:40 am

3. YOUR pictures! oops!

by Bridget {Bake at 350} on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:41 am

4. Oh my goodness this looks amazing!!!! I LOVE all things coffee so this is a winner for me! ๐Ÿ˜€

by Jen @ MaplenCornbread on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm

5. Yes! when it is hot make ice-cream and this looks amazing! I love the photo of the espresso beans, too. Very cool.

by Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:04 pm

6. I love your site! This was the easiest way to comment because I don’t have a Twitter account. I’m just 16 but I love cooking, baking especially, and stumbling upon your site is a super find! ๐Ÿ˜€

by Kit on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:39 pm

7. No need to apologize for a lack of baking when you are posting about espresso ice cream! It looks soooo good… I am going to go put the bowl for my ice cream maker in the freezer tonight so I can try this over the weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:18 pm

8. That looks delicious! What kind of ice cream maker do you have? I’ve been wanting one for a long time but, am wondering if it’s just another one of those appliances that will hang out unused in my cabinets. ๐Ÿ™‚

by G. on Aug 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm

9. You had me at ice cream

by the Provident Woman on Aug 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm

10. This really looks and sounds CRAZY-GOOD! Actually my husband just came back from a business trip in Italy and was drinking 2 or 3 espressos a day. He has gone into serious withdrawals since he returned, so this is perfect!

by Shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:10 am

11. Aww, ya’ll are so sweet! (I don’t know why “ya’ll,” because I’m not from the south. It just comes out sometimes!)

G – I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker similar to this one. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Aug 17, 2009 at 9:39 am

12. Homemade ice cream is the best. Saving this recipe for summer since we still have snow:(

by Maria on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

13. Yummy! I love how you can see the specks of the Espresso beans in the ice cream!

by LilSis on Apr 30, 2010 at 10:40 am

14. No need to apologize for lack of baking posts! Ice Cream, especially Espresso Ice Cream, is just fine with me!

by Michelle on Apr 30, 2010 at 10:54 am

15. This looks so delicious! And what a beautiful photo. WOW.

by maggy on Apr 30, 2010 at 11:26 am

16. I love that photo of the egg yolks in the bowl. The combination of espresso and cinnamon sounds delicious.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

17. Looks so yummy! I am trying this recipe tonight with a few modifications. The goal if to make a Mayan Mocha flavored ice cream similar to a hot espresso drink served by a local coffee shop. I am adding a whole stick of cinnamon to simmer with the espresso and a couple of pinches of quality chili powder. I also add 1/2 a chili chocolate bar to the heated mixture and then during the freezing phase the other half will be added finely chopped. So far it is delicious, cant wait for the final product to be finished.

by Javaverses on Jul 1, 2012 at 12:32 am

18. I this is awesome. Thanks. I will be trying it asap!

by Charles~Humble Mechanic on Aug 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm

19. Ummm, why not use ground beans and a chinoise?

btw, the Chinoise is indispensable for making stocks, liqueurs, jellies, and seedless jams. So it’s not actually a “mono-tasker” as Alton Brown would complain.

by haineux on Nov 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

20. YELLOW!!! I’ll take some of that in my COFFEE every morning please! What an ingenious recipe…and easy to make – all I need is that icecream maker! Thank you for sharing this recipe with everyone

by Elaine on Oct 21, 2013 at 5:50 pm

21. New to this site but I already love it! What an awesome recipe! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Jorge Jurado on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:55 pm

22. Whoah – perfect!

by Rande | RandeMoss.com on Aug 27, 2015 at 11:46 am

23. I want that right now ๐Ÿ™‚ YUMMY!

by kushi on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:06 pm