Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake

…topped with dark chocolate cream cheese frosting. (I didn’t want to put all that in the title; it’d be way too long.) Anyway,ย I really couldn’t help making this. I had too many zucchini, andย I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. Besides, it’s good for me, right? Okay, probably not…but this is my version of chocolate zucchini cake, and I love it. I hope you do, too!

Here’s what you’ll need for the cake:

And for the frosting:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, dark cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

In a different bowl, cream the butter and sugar. The mixture will be crumbly.

Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.

Stir in the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and zucchini.

Mix the dry ingredients and buttermilk in with the zucchini mix, and stir until well-combined.

Grease a 9×13″ cake pan, and then pour in the batter.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

In the meantime, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese. Add in the powdered sugar, and then the vanilla and dark cocoa. Beat well.

Frost the cake once it has cooled completely.

Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.

Posted by on August 7, 2009.

Tags: , ,

1. This looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it. Chocolate and Zucchini are definitely a great combination.

by Kelsey on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:02 am

2. You had me at cake. But dark chocolate cream cheese frosting? I’m swooning.

by Susan from Food Blogga on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:38 am

3. This has me wishing I had grown zucchini in my garden this year! I have just about everything else on hand that I would need to make it.

by Theresa on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:29 pm

4. Ohh, that sounds awesome! I still have some zucchini I have been wondering what to do with. I think you just solved my problem!

by Shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm

5. Now that is health food I can love! ๐Ÿ™‚ Tracy…I think I may throw away all of my cookbooks and just copy all of the goodness from your blog!

by Bridget {Bake at 350} on Aug 7, 2009 at 7:34 pm

6. Mmmm, that looks so good! I’ll bet it’s moist too.

by Jacque on Aug 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm

7. I made your Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake today and loved it! I wanted to mention that in your recipe you forgot to say when to add the first of the cocoa powder. Here, with the photos, it’s easy to figure out, but I got the recipe from Tasty Kitchen and was initially confused. I figured it out, but I thought you might want to add that step to both recipes.

Thanks for a wonderful addition to my recipe box!

by Sandy on Aug 8, 2009 at 9:11 pm

8. Sandy, thanks for letting me know! I’ll make sure to update that in both recipes. ๐Ÿ™‚

by Tracy on Aug 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm

9. Love this chocolate cake recipe – the zucchini makes me feel like it’s healthy ๐Ÿ™‚

by Maggy on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:20 am

10. Cinnamon and Chocolate are one of my favorite combinations! Gorgeous, rich chocolate cake!

by Michelle on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

11. This looks moist and delicious! I love Zucchini Bread and I’m sure I’ll love this cake!

by LilSis on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

12. I love zucchini bread but I’ve never had zucchini in cake form. This dark chocolate cake looks sinfully delicious!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm

13. This looks incredibly moist and addictive. Really nice change from standard zucchini bread.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

14. I have never had zucchini bread and always wanted to try it, and then I see this! And now I am more curious than ever!!

by Alycia on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm