Verry Berry Pie

Earlier this month (or late last month? I can’t remember), Bridget over at Bake at 350 ran a poll to see how many people would be interested in a “Flavor of the Month” event. You can read the details here, but basically, a theme will be chosen each month – but after that, you can do whatever you want. When I read that, I got really excited. I love it when I can let my creativity run wild, so I was in!

This month’s theme is pie, which I think hubby was even more excited about than me. He loves his fruit desserts, especially fruit pies, so I decided to spoil him. Without further ado, here’s my first Flavor of the Month entry: Verry Berry Pie (and yes, I realize that’s not how you normally spell “very,” but I was having way too much fun).

Pie crust:

Updated recipe: Easy All-Butter Pie Crust

Crumble Top:

Pie Filling:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pit the cherries and chop up the strawberries, and then mix all the fruit together in a large bowl.

Make the crumble top. Mix the flour and brown sugar together, and then work the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. (Go here for photos.)

Add the sugar, flour, and cornstarch to the mixed fruit. If the filling seems a little too soupy, add in some extra corn starch to thicken it up. Make sure to do this step right before you’re ready to put the filling in the pie crust and the pie in the oven. When the sugar is added to the fruit, it can get soupy fast! Trust me, I learned this one the hard way.

Carefully place the pie crust into your pie dish. Around the edges, fold under and press down any excess dough.

Pour in the filling.

Pour on the crumble top, and then cover the edges with a pie shield or aluminum foil.

Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the pie crust shield, and then bake 10 minutes more.

Let cool for 30-40 minutes before serving.

Posted by on July 31, 2009.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. My husband is the same way…when I asked him what kind of pie he wanted, he said “nothing fancy”…meaning a regular fruit pie. And they ARE so good! I want to make more of them and I’m thinking I need to make yours. It looks delicious!

Thanks for being a part of Flavor-of-the-Month! ?

by Bridget {Bake at 350} on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:39 am

2. i LOVE small fruits – and this is just a lovely combination! Thank you for showing the step-by-step how it looks along the way – i find i have more courage to try something new when i know what to expect…. or not…. ‘this does NOT look like the picture…’ LOL thanks again for sharing!!

by Ann Marie on Jul 31, 2009 at 11:10 am

3. I’m jealous of your pie crust shield, could of used one when I made my pie. Looks so yummy!

by Monica on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:58 pm

4. Berries are my favorite! Love this pie!

by Maria on Jul 31, 2009 at 4:25 pm

5. YUM! This pie is great. It would have been a great use for the fresh berries I picked up at Green City Market, had they lasted that long!
    🙂

by Hillary on Jul 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm

6. This looks divine! And I am loving your pie crust shield – how cute! I don’t make pie nearly often enough to justify such a purchsae (ie: never make pie) but I’m glad there are people out there who do.

by Jessica on Jul 31, 2009 at 5:47 pm

7. OMG!! is there anything better than this pie.. Hummm Semms like NO!!! I want that now.. soo tempting and mouth watering pic.

by Ann on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:01 pm

8. Your pie sounds fantastic! The combination of berries you chose sound wonderful – a perfect representation of the best of summer.

I really wish I had time to bake a pie this week for the challenge, but I ran out of time. I had good intentions. Next month!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:23 pm

9. Yummy! It’s the perfect summer pie:)

by Nutmeg Nanny on Aug 2, 2009 at 10:11 am

10. I am for sure making this one. THanks for sharing it. I love the Flavor of the Month, it’s fun!

by Cindy on Aug 4, 2009 at 2:30 pm

11. I think this would be great to have the whole recipe in one spot without the photos. It makes it hard to cut and paste onto paper to put in my recipe binder.

by Cindy on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:18 pm

12. Cindy – thank you for the suggestion! I totally agree with you, and am going to look into that. Once I figure out the best way of doing it, I’ll update all my posts. Thanks again!

by Tracy on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm

13. I made this pie for my parents and it was so delicious! There were no fresh cherries, so I used strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, some fresh and some frozen. I also used a pre-made pie crust which was fine because really the stars are the crumble topping and fruit. Thank you for sharing this!

by Angie on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm

14. Great recipe. I had a lot of fruit leftover from a brunch that I couldn’t bear to throw away so I made this pie. I did add oatmeal to the topping.
    For the recipe, I think you could just add the full instructions beneath the ingredients for cut and pasting and then continue on with the pictures/instructions as it is above.

by Ann Martin on Mar 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm