Homemade Chicken Soup

This is one of my go-to meals, as long as I remember to prepare it the day before I want to have it. It’s one of my favorites because I use the ‘ole crockpot to make it, and any day I come home and dinner is already cooked for me is a good day. I also consider it comfort food, because even though it’s on the healthy side, there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold, rainy day. Which it is today. And will be every day this week, and probably next week. I’m not kidding; last night on the weather channel the headline was, “The Year Without Summer.” Ugh.

Anyway, even if you’re not plagued by rain and cold weather, this meal is also perfect if you’re on a budget. The whole chicken I bought was around $4, and we got two meals out of it. Here’s what else you’ll need:

First, chop up the vegetables. Sometimes I also chop up one or two cloves of garlic.

Toss all the vegetables together in the crockpot.

Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, and sprinkle on the seasonings. Feel free to use whatever seasonings you like, the fresher the better. However, PLEASE don’t forget to remove the giblets before you put the chicken in. It won’t be pretty later – trust me.

Fill the crockpot with the chicken broth. You want it at least 2/3 full, maybe more.

Now, set the crockpot to cook for 8 hours. I have a Rival crockpot the same as or similar to this one, so my setting was third from the left. When you come home from work, or after it’s been 8 hours if you’re at home, it’ll look like this:

It’ll also smell like heaven. Mmm. We’re not quite done yet, though. Remove the chicken from the soup. I use a giant slotted spoon, which helps me balance it and which also doesn’t take any of the soup with the chicken.

Remove the meat from the bones. It practically falls off by itself, so it doesn’t take long at all. In the meantime, put on a pot of hot water for the noodles.

Dump the chicken back into the crockpot.

Once the noodles are done, strain them and then mix them in with the soup.

Posted by on July 23, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner, soups, salads, & sides

1. That looks delicious and easy! I definitely need to try it. 🙂

by Bee on Jul 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

2. This looks like amazing chicken soup. I love the way you showed pictures on each step of the way. You are a wonder. Thank you

by Carol on Jul 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm

3. I love crock pot recipes – this looks like a great soup for any time of the year!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm

4. that looks amazing! and soo easy. I am gonna do it!!! 😀 😀 maybe next week hehe

by Em on Jul 23, 2009 at 7:18 pm

5. It’s actually raining here to today, so this looks especially good! 🙂 Homemade soup IS so much better than canned…I’m just too lazy most of the time!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:40 am

6. Bee – Let me know how it turns out!

Carol – Thank you; I’m glad it helped!

Jen – I love crock pot recipes, too…if you have any good ones, send them my way! 🙂

Em – Excellent! 🙂

Bridget – Haha, me too…I have cans of Campbell’s in the cupboard for those moments. 😉

by Tracy on Jul 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm

7. i love Chicken Soup it is so yummy.

by Paula on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm

8. I am so going to try this. I make my own chicken stock, so here’s a tip — chop a little extra of all the veggies, and save the (washed) peelings too. After taking the meat off the bones, use the bones (even better if you roast them first) and the other veggies to make a rich, healthy bone broth. Then use that broth for your next soup. 😉 Rinse, repeat!

I usually roast my whole chicken, but I love the idea of cooking in right in the crockpot with the veggies from the beginning.

by Heather D on Oct 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm

9. Heather – thanks for the tip! I will definitely have to try that. 🙂

by Tracy on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm

10. Wow, I tried this tonight and it was AMAZING!! I did a little bit of my own thing with the seasonings, of course, but wow-ie!! I think I made enough to feed an army, too! I am sure it will be even better for tomorrow’s lunch!! My picky little nephew even ate it! I think I will be making this a lot in the near future (winter months)! Thank you so much for a new recipe for my pantry!!

by Ashley on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm