Flourless SunButter Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I saw this recipe for flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that Maria posted the other day, I was really excited. It seemed odd to be excited, as I’m severely allergic to peanuts/nuts…but the fact is that recently, a friend of mine whose son also has allergies turned me on to a fantastic and completely peanut-free alternative: SunButter sunflower seed spread.

I don’t know how to convey just how awesome this stuff is. It tastes like how peanut butter smells (that’s all I have to go on, people!), and friends of mine sans allergies who have tried it told me that it is very close in taste to real peanut butter. When I got my first can, I ate it on fresh bread, sandwiches, celery, rice cakes, straight out of the jar – I couldn’t get enough of it. And then, one of my friends suggested I try baking with it. I was practically twitching with excitement!

I wanted to start out simple since I’ve never used SunButter in my cooking before, and Maria’s recipe seemed perfect since it’s quick and so easy. You can substitute the SunButter directly for the peanut butter. Here’s what you do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (I made my cookies big, so I only used one). Mix the sugars and SunButter together until smooth.

Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix; then add in the salt and baking soda.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop the dough on to the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (okay, mine were more like 1 inch). Smash down with a fork and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, if you can…you can see that one has already mysteriously disappeared.

Move to a wire rack and cool. You don’t want them to overbake, because you want them to be soft. They’re full of nutty flavor, and you don’t even miss the flour, either. Try these today…even you if you don’t have allergies!

Posted by on July 8, 2009.

Tags: , ,

1. Yea! I am so glad they turned out! I can’t wait to try these for my hubs, he is allergic to nuts too. Great way to adapt the recipe!

by Maria on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:53 am

2. Thanks again for the recipe!! I am definitely going to make these again and again. And you’ll have to let me know what your hubby thinks of them! 🙂

by Tracy on Jul 8, 2009 at 10:00 am

3. I’ve never heard of that, but they look delicious!

by bridget on Jul 8, 2009 at 10:54 am

4. Tracy,
    I don’t have the right email address for you but, wanted to get in touch with you about possibly making a cake or cakes for Kent’s Ordination in August. Please email me @daisygirl242003@yahoo.com Thanks. 🙂

by G. on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:00 pm

5. my friend is deathly allergic to peanuts so i made him sunbutter cookies, and they tasted great! as a side note, when sunbutter is mixed with baking powder or baking soda (i don’t remember which) it turns green from a chemical reaction, don’t be freaked out, they taste fine, they just look like halloween, i was freaked initially but it is completely fine to eat, it’s just green.

by christine on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:53 pm

6. Bridget – Thanks!

G – Sure, I’ll e-mail you now. 🙂

Christine – Huh, weird! This recipe called for baking soda and they didn’t turn green, so I’ll have to remember that if I ever combine it with baking powder. Thanks for the heads-up!

by Tracy on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm

7. I have never heard of it either, but it sounds amazing…I will definitely look for it now though…interesting! They look great!

by Shelly on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm

8. It is really good stuff! My favorite is the crunchy kind. 🙂

by Tracy on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:42 am

9. Hi Tracy! I made these tonight, with natural peanut butter (I’m obviously not allergic!) and they turned out great!! If anyone is making these with peanut butter, I’d recommend using natural peanut butter (“just peanuts”) because it gives it a really good nutty flavour, as you said with the sunbutter.

Thanks for the recipes 🙂

by Pam on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

10. So excited to find a flourless Sunbutter recipe! Along with peanut, wheat my 2yr old is also allergic to eggs. I was going to try to substitute applesauce for the egg maybe?

by Kelly on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

11. Kelly – I’ve never tried that before! Let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

12. I made sunbutter seed flour and made the same cookie but added canola oil and they turned green with the baking soda. I left out the egg and they were fine. They taste yummy with the chocolate chips too!
    great egg substitute is 1 tblsp ground flax seed and two tblsp water mix and microwave for 30 seconds until it is egg constitancy.

by Suzanne on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm