Grilled Cheese on Focaccia

For those of you who are wondering what we actually eat for dinner around here now that we’re pinching pennies, this grilled cheese on focaccia is what I made for dinner last Wednesday when we started the challenge. I mentioned that I had a batch of bread dough in my fridge, and it was Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day olive oil dough. You can use it to make a variety of breads of course, but I used it to make focaccia.

In addition to making focaccia for the first time, the sandwich itself was an adventure because I was attempting to replicate one that is made by my favorite local coffee shop. It was even better with focaccia fresh from the oven. Easy, and of course, cheap!

Here’s what you’ll need:

Dijonaise sauce:

First, make the focaccia. Make sure you have a broiling pan in the oven, and then preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll the olive oil dough out on it, and sprinkle it with thyme, rosemary, and olive oil. Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Use your fingers to make imprints into the dough, and then place it in the oven. Pour 1 cup of water into your broiling pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Let it cool before slicing.

In the meantime, slice up the tomato…

…and the cheese.

Next, make the Dijonaise sauce. Over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add in the milk, and stir until the sauce thickens. Stir in the mustard, and then remove it from the heat.

Cut the focaccia into diagonal slices, just because it’s fun.

Assemble the sandwich. Brush the inside of the bottom slice of bread with the dijonaise sauce. Add on the tomatoes (2 or 3 slices for each sandwich) and cheese.

Top with the other slice of bread and then grill; I used my George Foreman grill as a panini press, but you can make these on an outdoor grill as well.

One bite into this sandwich, and I was hooked! Not only was I able to replicate one of my favorite sandwiches, but I will definitely be making more grilled sandwiches on focaccia in the very near future.

I’ll be back later with my week 1 recap!

Posted by on July 7, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. I need to try ABin5’s foccacia. Looks great! Glad you are doing the challenge. It’s fun, huh?

by Maria on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:15 am

2. You should; it’s the best bread I’ve tried so far! And yeah, I am really enjoying the challenge…it’s fun to do with such great foodies! 😉

by Tracy on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:31 am

3. This looks amazing. Back in the day I worked at a SPot Coffee location in Ellicottville, NY and they had a sandwich similar to this with the Dijon sauce. It was terrific! You gave me an idea for dinner this week, Except I may be buying the foccacia instead of making it- I’m a little time crunched this week.
    Thanks.

by G. on Jul 7, 2009 at 10:16 am

4. WOW! My mouth is absolutely WATERING! This makes me want to take an early lunch… but I don’t know if I’d find a sandwich as good as that!

by Teanna on Jul 7, 2009 at 10:56 am

5. G – I’m glad I could help out! 🙂

Teanna – I know, right? Is it good or bad when you don’t want to eat out anymore because you like your own food better? 😉

by Tracy on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:05 am

6. That sandwich looks AMAZING! I literally JUST ate lunch and my stomach is growling! I requested that book from the library…I think I am 63rd in line. 🙂 You must have a lot of blog readers in this area!!!

by bridget on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm

7. That might be my most favorite sandwich in the world…never had it on foccacia, but I love that too…looks like there is a grilled cheese in my future!

by Shelly on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:29 pm

8. Bridget – Awesome, that means I’ve done my job. 😉 I hope you get the book soon!!

Shelly – You definitely have to try it! Not only is it good for dinner, it’s also wonderful comfort food. 😉

by Tracy on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:57 pm

9. Just awesome…I love this. I just made AB in 5 dough pizzas & baugettes! These are gorgeous. Love the triangles…way better than eating out!

by deeba on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:25 am

10. O BTW…I just bought the book & it’s wonderful. the feel of it makes you want to bake all the time!! My kids are gonna love this sandwich!!

by deeba on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:31 am

11. Deeba – I agree, it’s definitely better than eating out. Glad to hear you just bought the book – I think it’s worth every penny with how much I’ve saved making my own bread! 😀

by Tracy on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:58 am

12. I made grilled cheese for my boys last night (including my husband). Not as fancy as yours though! Love that foccacia!

by Dana on Jan 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm