Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Pepperoni Bread - 10

Several posts ago, I mentioned that I bought one of my favorite books as a gift for my friend Becky for her birthday.  I also mentioned that I would be posting about it later.  Well, this is that post. And this is that book – Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day!

I really can’t say enough about it. With a few weeks to go before Christmas last year, I decided I wanted to add some bakeware to my Christmas list. I wanted to try my hand at baking bread, but I really had no idea what to do or even what to get. I did some research on bread making, and this book was pretty much at the top of the list. So I added it, and a baking stone, to my Christmas list – and boy, am I ever glad I did! This book really has revolutionized baking in my home. Now, I bake bread all the time – full-flavored, soft on the inside and crusty on the outside, delicious artisan bread.  I rarely buy bread at the store anymore, and there’s no end to the variations of loaves to be made.  I always have a batch of dough in my fridge ready to go – and it really is easy!  If you’re interested, check out the authors at their website. They’re coming out with a new book in October, and I can hardly wait!

Okay, I will end the shameless plug now (and no, they didn’t pay me to say all that). I’ll end this post with one of my favorite breads to make using the master recipe from their website: pepperoni bread!

Servings: 10 (slices)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with your baking stone and a broiler pan inside. Mix the yeast and salt in with the water.

Pepperoni Bread - 1

Add in the flour.

Pepperoni Bread - 2

Mix it all together.

Pepperoni Bread - 3

The dough after rising for about two hours:

Pepperoni Bread - 4

The dough rolled out, and ready for the filling to be added!

Pepperoni Bread - 5

A sprinkling of mozzarella cheese…

Pepperoni Bread - 6

…and pepperoni, of course!

Pepperoni Bread - 7

Rolled up, dusted, and ready to go in the oven.

Pepperoni Bread - 8

Slide the dough onto the baking stone, and pour one cup of water into the broiler pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Here it is finished baking and cooling on a rack:

Pepperoni Bread - 9

A slice fresh from the oven!

Pepperoni Bread - 10

Posted by on May 28, 2009.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Dear God that looks good.

by Tim Brazell on May 28, 2009 at 11:23 am

2. No, we didn’t pay you, but we do thank you! So glad the recipes are working for you. Come visit the website anytime with bread questions; http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com

Jeff Hertzberg (Co-author)

by Jeff Hertzberg on May 28, 2009 at 11:42 am

3. Tim – it is! You should try it. :-)

Jeff – thank you!! I certainly will. :-D

by Tracy on May 28, 2009 at 12:30 pm

4. Ok…I’m going to be on the lookout for that book, now! Thanks!

by Bridget on May 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm

5. Hey Tracy,
    Your recipes are amazing!! I love looking at your site and getting ideas of foods to make!

by Katie on May 28, 2009 at 5:36 pm

6. Bridget – excellent; I know you won’t be disappointed!

Katie – thank you! I’m glad you’re enjoying it. :-)

by Tracy on May 28, 2009 at 10:29 pm

7. I just bought this book for a friend! Maybe I should buy one for me too :)

by megan on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

8. From the beginning of this recipe until the part where you roll is out, will that make the bread bowls for your broccoli and cheddar soup? BTW I’m in LOVE with this site!

by Jackie on Sep 3, 2010 at 11:52 am

9. Jackie – Yes, I used the same dough to make my broccoli cheddar soup bowls. :-)

by Tracy on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm

10. My Husband bought me my first bread maker – now researching to get the most out of it. Been doing a lot of bookmarking :-)

by Fadara Zulpo on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm

11. Can you clarify? Is a baking stone the same thing as a pizza stone? Why the broiler pan?

by Katie on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

12. Katie – Yes, the baking stone is the same as a pizza stone. As for the broiler pan, you can use any type of oven-safe dish you like to pour the water in. The steam that you get from pouring the water into the hot dish is what helps the bread bake up with a soft inside and crackly crust. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

13. What if I don’t have any kosher salt?

by Sarah on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm

14. Sarah – It doesn’t have to be kosher salt, you can use any type of coarse salt that you like. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Dec 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

15. I’ve never used a broiler pan before (and certainly not for bread) so can you explain to me when you put the water in? You said to put the pan in the oven so that it’s hot – is that including the water or do you add the water later, when you’re ready to bake the bread?

by Christine on Mar 1, 2013 at 11:42 am

16. Christine – You don’t need to use a broiler pan per se; any dish or pan that is oven-safe will do. Just place the pan in with the baking stone while the oven preheats so that it gets nice and hot, and then when you place the bread dough on the stone to bake, pour the water into the pan and you’ll get instant steam as it hits the hot pan. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Mar 1, 2013 at 11:58 am