Oreo Cupcakes

Oreo Cupcakes - 8

Good morning!  I hope you all had a lovely Memorial Day weekend.  Hubby and I did; we got a ton of stuff done around the house and yard this weekend. We were even able to get some relaxing time in, too.

Sunday, I had some fun in the kitchen coming up with this recipe for Oreo cupcakes, since almost all of the Oreo cupcake recipes I came across in my search this weekend consisted of a simple chocolate cupcake with Oreo icing. And, while I’m sure that each one of those cupcakes is delicious, I wanted Oreo cake batter in addition to the Oreo icing. I can’t help it; I love Oreos.  I think they’re one of the greatest cookies ever made, and I love finding new ways to use them in my baking!

Anyway, here’s the resulting recipe.

Servings: 24

Oreo cake mix

Oreo frosting (for 24 cupcakes):

For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

Oreo Cupcakes - 1

In a large bowl, mix together the butter with the sugar and vanilla.

Oreo Cupcakes - 2

Then, add the egg whites, half at a time.  The mixture will go from crumbly to soupy.

Oreo Cupcakes - 3

Add half of the flour mixture and then half of the sour milk to the butter mixture, mixing until well-blended.  Repeat with the remaining halves of each.  The mixture should now have a normal cake batter consistency.

Oreo Cupcakes - 4

Stir in the Oreo pieces…mmmm.

Oreo Cupcakes - 5

Now, pour the batter into two cupcake paper-lined cupcake pans (24 cupcakes total).  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Oreo Cupcakes - 6

While you’re waiting for the cupcakes to cool, make the frosting.  First, mix together the shortening, butter, and vanilla.  Add in the powdered sugar 2 cups at a time.  Then, add in the milk, and mix until well-blended. Finally, mix in the Oreo pieces.

Oreo Cupcakes - 7

Spread on the cupcakes with a knife, or pipe on with a frosting bag.  I sprinkled mine with some white cake sparkles to give them just a little something extra!

Oreo Cupcakes - 9

Posted by on May 26, 2009.

1. mmm. I would like to eat one right now! 😉

by Bee on May 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm

2. Can you say goodie plate? 😉

by Sandy on May 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm

3. They look great! Oreos are a favorite of mine too. I just found this cake pan from Williams-Sonoma, you should definitely check it out…I have it posted!

by Shelly on May 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm

4. That ICING…oh, man! that looks so good!

by Bridget on May 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm

5. Hehe thanks guys!!

Shelly – I commented on your post! 🙂

by Tracy on May 27, 2009 at 9:31 am

6. Hey

Im from England, and on a recent trip to London with my husband, I had my 1st ever Oreo Cupcakes in Harrods and WOW!!!!!

I have been hunting for a recipe that was the same ever since and this is the best one of found!! Thank you so much, i cant wait to try!!

by Jemma on Apr 4, 2010 at 10:14 am

7. Ok, maybe I’m just having a blonde moment, but sour milk? I’m confused. Is it really milk you’ve waited to go bad, or am I missing something? :0)

by Tammi on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:59 am

8. Tammi – So sorry about the confusion! When I listed sour milk in the ingredients, I essentially meant homemade buttermilk. To make it, you stir just under 1 cup of milk together with 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and let it sit for about five minutes before using. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04 am

9. Hey!
    I love oreos too, they are the best cookie in the world, i had made some oreo cupcakes topped with a milk chocolate ganache! But your oreo buttercream sounds divine!=)

by Sana Bector on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

10. look good

by wesley on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm

11. So I’m now making these cupcakes for the 5th time! They are a hit and were requested for my son’s class birthday party tomorrow. I’m currently baking a double batch to feed everyone. AMAZINGLY good!

by Jenny Meyerson on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

12. My daughter & I made them today to bring to family dinner night tomorrow. Of course we had to taste test them first! Fab.u.lous!

by Cheryl on Jan 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

13. These look absolutely amazing! I’m going to head down to the supermarket right now and get some Oreos so I can try these. Thanks for a great recipe!

by Grace on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:01 am